Saturday, December 31, 2011

Where are the Desks?

While making the transition from special education to regular education, I knew it wasn't going to be easy, but I had no idea what was in store. The one thing I did know was that I wanted my classroom to be like no other!

Imagine coming to school to find a classroom filled with sofas with pillows, a cozy recliner, beanbags, huge area rugs, bookcases lined with books, lamps, plants and community supplies for all of the children to use and share. That was my third grade classroom, and it revealed much about me as a teacher. As children entered my classroom on the first day of school, they were astonished to find that it looked more like a living room than the typical classroom with desks, chairs and assigned seats. I believe that the classroom should be comfortable, welcoming, intimate, and accommodating to different learning styles? Within the first week and a half of living and learning in this new environment, I found that my students are more relaxed and willing to share their ideas, thoughts, and feelings. I also found that my unique classroom environment was more suitable for students with high energy levels. As an outsider looking in, the teaching and learning may have looked a bit chaotic; however, my classroom environment enabled me to effectively teach and my students succeed.

Student collaboration was also an integral part of my teaching. Every morning after independent reading, the students shared the books they were currently reading and the strategies they are using with their peers.  This allowed for interesting discussions and provided me the opportunity to teach mini-lessons on a variety of topics. While standards were used to create long-range plans, accommodations were made to incorporate student needs and interests as often as necessary. The most interesting part of the share time is that the children, not the textbook, were guiding my instruction. I was following children not a script.
Choice was the operative word in my classroom. Children choose where they wanted to sit, the books they wanted to read, the topics they wanted to research. While the children were working on their weeklong projects at home, we work together on in-class group projects. I chose two project leaders, who pick their teams. They know best who they can work well with and how to accomplish the task at hand. After the completion of the in-class projects, I would sit down with each team. Together, we would evaluate how well they worked together and what they learned and make suggestions for improvement.
According to Shelly Harwayne, “Literature triggers thoughts, unlocks memories, and helps create the kind of community in which it’s safe to tell our stories.”  This quote described my classroom in 2004. However, prior to participating in the South Carolina Reading Initiative (SCRI), my classroom environment and teaching styles were very different. As an SCRI participant, I embraced literacy learning and quickly began to try out new practices. Thinking outside the box became the norm rather than the exception. Led by a nurturing literacy coach, Barbara Fewell, I reveled in the new knowledge that I was gaining through professional reading, study groups, and stimulating conversations with peers. During this time, I found myself challenging my own beliefs about how children learn to read and write, as well as those of my colleagues. Peers not involved in SCRI challenged me every step of the way; however, I persevered with support from my principal, Mr. Rawlinson, who was learning too and Barbara who created a safe environment where I was free to question my beliefs and practices.
Many of the SCRI group participants have left the classrooms, are now in administrative roles, and are known throughout our district for being strong instructional leaders.  I think that if you asked any of them, they would all agree that without Barbara Fewell’s unwavering support, guidance, and knowledge of best practices in the area of literacy, we wouldn’t be where we are today!  Now as an administrator, I am constantly striving to create a similar environment within our school where teachers are free to take risks and participate in a community of learners.

PS - Sorry for the large font...having a few issues getting use to the template! 

No comments:

Post a Comment